Sunday, May 16, 2010

ICTs are making this teaching caper kind of fun!

Last week I implemented a lesson at my school on Narrative Writing.  I enjoyed the lesson and I think the students did too! 

I created this PowerPoint to use during the lesson and it worked quite well.  The information came from a great article by Figg, S. (2002), 'Understanding Narrative Writing: Practical Strategies to Support Teachers. Extracted from http://wwwfp.education.tas.gov.au/english/narrative.htm.

During my lesson it was really interesting to note that many students could not recall the information from the PowerPoint when it came time to design a graphic organiser about it!  Goes to show that all this stuff we've been learning about is really important, i.e. In order to learn and retain new information students need to 'do something' with it! 

To overcome this dilemma, I reviewed the PowerPoint presentation, discussed it as a group, incorporating some examples and then assisted students to create their graphic organisers.  From here they used their graphic organiser as a tool to write a piece of narrative. 
I also used a short You Tube video to stimulate the students' narrative writing.  This video was suggested by a fellow student, Megan Sommerfield, in one of her forum postings. The students really enjoyed it and it was a great way to get the students imaginations working.  Some of the writing that came out as a result was quite impressive. Thanks for the idea Megan.

No comments:

Post a Comment