Thursday, April 15, 2010

Engaging students through the Arts

I've been asked by the mentor teacher at my school to design my first lesson around Art. She has given me free reign, which is both wonderful and frightening at the same time.

I have been thinking of incorporating a number of Learning areas into my lesson plan, including Art, English and SOSE and really loved this video about the Arts that was included in our coursework for the subject Pedagogical Content Knowledge. I found this video to be very moving and it really demonstrates the importance of Art in our lives and the way in which Art can enhance and engage the students in very powerful ways.

This video has inspired me to do my art lesson on Aboriginal Art, which will allow the students to explore both the style, colours and symbols of Aboriginal Art, create their own class symbols and then design individual artworks in the style of aboriginal art that tell their own personal story.

I am now searching for ways to incorporate ICT's into my lesson and will include a video and some other visuals for my students, by way of introduction. I may also create a class blog, so that each student can tell their story and display their artwork for the rest of the school to view.

I think the use of ICT's and Art in combination, is both inspiring and engaging.

Good luck planning your learning experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment